Cell Phone Reception

Re: Cell Phone Reception

Postby Shrike » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:47 pm

I have Sprint and I had zero service outside of WiFi.
Shrike

Postby thiawroane » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:36 pm

Shrike wrote:I have Sprint and I had zero service outside of WiFi.

Sprint users must call ahead and give Sprint travel dates for international service. I been doing it for years. Last time I visited rates were $0 for basic data (2G), $.05 to get text, and $.25 to send text. Calls to "home" were $.10 per minute. Other calls were international roaming.

The requirement is that you have a tri-band phone (or a phone that can do GSM as well as CDMA).
I have a Galaxy S7, but I used to have a GS4. I'm sure late model iPhones will work too.
Call the worldwide customer service number (817) 698-4199, this is important...BEFORE YOU TRAVEL.
When you are boarding, dial the number to reprogram (*2 or something, they will tell you).
Follow the prompts. When programming is complete, you can shut down or go to airplane mode.
When you reconnect (or restart) in the DR, you will be on the Orange or Claro network.

Also, while at the resort, you can use wifi calling and/or voice apps to avoid roaming charges. Video apps (Messenger, Skype, etc.) consume too much bandwith and do not always work on premise.
thiawroane
Past Guest

Postby SuperD » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:46 am

Cricket wireless said that I should buy a prepaid Claro SIM card when I arrive in DR.
Has anyone tried this?
The rep I talked to said he is from DR and that is what he does when he travels home.
SuperD
Past Guest

Postby Phatdaddy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:30 pm

I have AT&T and use the international day pass it’s $10 a day and I get to use my phone just like I was I. The United States it’s a great plan and I get good service
Phatdaddy
Past Guest

Postby HBergeron » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:52 pm

Does anyone know anything about T-Mobile coverage. According to their website I should have coverage there provided I turn on international roaming before I go. Text messages would be free, but phone calls would be $.20/minute unless the call was made over WiFi.

I was also wondering if they have any place in the SDQ airport that sells burner phones. Thought might be one way to go and I could pack it up for use on a subsequent trip or just toss it in the ocean, before tossing it in a recycling bin.

I'm thinking about and saving for a possible trip there after the first of the year... as a mortgage burning party/celebration.
HBergeron

Previous

Return to About the Dominican Republic