Checked or Carry-on bags

Here is where you will find the most asked questions by our new member. If you don't see your question answered feel free to ask it here.

Re: Checked or Carry-on bags

Postby okumajoef4 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:10 pm

Hi All,
I am travelling to DR for my chicas on Oct 23rd, first timer!. I have been sitting on the fence as to check a bag or just do a carry on. From what I have read, if I have toiletries in my carry on, they will be seized. I thought I saw also that condoms will be seized? is this true? it sounds like I'm going to have to check a bag. i didn't want to because I didn't want to have to wait by the carousel, but it looks like i will have to. Any thoughts gentlemen? Am I correct about the seizures?
okumajoef4
Past Guest

Postby Rumbai » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:15 pm

Hello okumajoef4,

I see you are from Canada and assuming you have the same rules as the USA the following will apply.

As long as all of you do not have a bottle larger 3.4 ounces and all of your liquids fit inside of a quart plastic bag you will have no problem carrying them on. Here is the official link: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-scr ... quids-rule

Condoms are not liquid so they are not subject to the liquids rule. I always carry a dozen condoms in my briefcase when I do check my bag just in case my bag gets lost and I have never had a problem. My upcoming trip will be my 8th international flight this year with condoms in my carry on and not once have I had a problem, this includes trips to Canada, Bahamas, Belize, Mexico and the Dominican Republic.

If you start giving the TSA/security agent a hard time or do not follow the rules like not taking the liquids in a plastic bag out of your carry on and putting them in a tray then you run the risk of the TSA agent taking a bad day out on you. This does not apply if you are TSA pre-checked.

Know the rules and follow them and you will have no problem. If you are traveling through or from another country google the rules and then follow them.

I look forward to meeting you since I will arrive the day before. If you have any private questions please feel free to PM me.

Rumbai
Rumbai
Past Guest

The following user would like to thank Rumbai for this post
mntx66

Postby mntx66 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:31 pm

Everyone has their own approach regarding carry on and checked bags. Personally, I have a lot of gifts for all the chicas including condoms, lube, toys, lotions, and personal hygiene items that will not fit or work with airport security. Of course I also like to bring clothes to wear on the beach, at the resort, and a gentlemen attire for a night out on the town...

SPAV is not a summer boy camp, but I could be wrong.

Rumbai is correct...follow TSA rules...period...

Waiting 10 minutes for a checked bag is not a problem...being held up for 'anything' suspicious on a carry on is...

From experience, I wish you luck my friend...
mntx66
Past Guest

Postby Rumbai » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:36 pm

Mntx66, you and I are on the exact same page. I also like to take the girls out to nice restaurants in Santo Domingo and to the Discos. For these I bring long pants, nice dress shirts and dress shoes.

All of this is a personal choice and depends on what you want to bring and do with the girls.

The downside of checking luggage happened to me on my last trip which was my bag did not make the connection to DR so I did not have my bag for my first night. Thanks to Frank stopping at the Pharmacy and having some critical items in my carry on bag I had no problem. Went back to the airport the following morning for my bag. The point of this is if you check your bag you might want to carry a few critical items in your carry on.

Rumbai
Rumbai
Past Guest

Postby mntx66 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:00 am

Great advise Rumbai...
I travel quite a bit, both domestic and and international, mostly for business. Over the past 5 years, my checked bags have only been delayed once...Hamburg to Madrid...in this case, my luggage arrived to me in 24 hours. My carry on has always has 'critical' necessities...My carry on to the DR will have the following:
- 1 change of clothes (socks, underwear, shirt)
- 6 condoms (my checked bag has a 1-2 dozen...as you never know what you will need :)
- toothbrush/toothpaste (complimentary kit from my dentist)
- medication - including vitamin C...
- laptop (unfortunately, I have have to be connected - even at the resort...)
- a few snacks
- passport and cash...(traveling with cash to the resort of course is tough...there are many solutions to this, but I have these items in my carry on that never leaves me ::)
- any remaining space is filled with lingerie and chocolates for the girls (although, for whatever reason, my carry was searched for too much chocolate...lol )

Just my two bits, again, everyone has their own bias with checked and carry on luggage...I never made through the scouts, but I like to be prepared for at least 1 day...

Only 12 more days!!!
mntx66
Past Guest

Postby okumajoef4 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:41 pm

Gentlemen,
Thank you for the advice. I am from Canada, but I am flying out of Flint Michigan, so I will check the TSA link provided. I was just planning on getting travel size shampoo, toothpaste, etc from the dollar store, and I think i should be able to get it into a quart bag.

Thanks again!
okumajoef4
Past Guest

Postby mntx66 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:09 pm

Excellent!

I'm glad you figured out a way that works best for you! Everyone has their own approach...In the end you will have a fantastic trip with no delays :D

I look forward to reading your report when you get back...
mntx66
Past Guest

Previous

Return to Frequently Asked Questions