Checked or Carry-on bags

Here is where you will find the most asked questions by our new member. If you don't see your question answered feel free to ask it here.

Checked or Carry-on bags

Postby Mike1961 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:52 am

I would think that carry-on bags would be the best so that you don't have to wait, what do you think? Also what should you pack in a carry-on bag for the trip? Thanks for the information. 8-)
Mike1961

Re: Checked or Carry-on bags

Postby wwrl » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:40 am

I usually check my bag, but that is personal preference...as far as what to take, it would depend on how long you are going to stay, but keep in mind that laundry is done on a daily basis....picked up in the morning and delivered at night...this is rarely mentioned, but a great amenity for the guest.....leo....
wwrl
Past Guest

Postby Juan Dolio » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:05 am

Hi Mike,

My personal experience is that I check bags, because I usually stay for longer than 4-5 days and I always drag too much stuff with me. Also I like to bring my own toiletries and stuff and with the rules on liquids currently applicable I have to check my bags.

But, I have to agree with wwrl; laundy is done on a daily basis so you could get away with a carry on and just buy the toiletries you need when you arrive and just bring the essentials for the first day in your carry on in those small packages.

If you are not a clothes freak and can fit all you need into a carry on then you should be OK.

Myself.. Can't do carry on, because I always bring too much.

JD
Juan Dolio

The following user would like to thank Juan Dolio for this post
Steve1960

Postby wink48 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:26 pm

Here's my 2 cents worth...

I checked my bag once and came in on the last flight of the night (arrived around midnight). The airline, immigration and customs staffs were skeletal and I think it took almost an hour to get to the receiving area and greet Frank. Don't know what it's like during normal hours waiting for a bag but it sucks late at night.

Every other visit (and on almost all of my travels) I carry-on. But of course being a member of the senior citizens club and not having as much hair as JD I don't need the special beauty aids that he packs!

wink believes in the old saying, half the clothes - twice the money...
wink48
Past Guest

Postby TexasTank2009 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:54 pm

I always check my bag because it just isnt quite small enought to carry on and after I get to the resort I realize I dont need half of what I brought because of the daily laundry. I really need to start trying to carry on because there are times I have zipped right thru and from off the plane to meeting Franks has been 15 minutes and there was one time that I was off and it took almost an hour to get out to meet him. My suggestion for simplicity's sake is figure what you need for 2 days clothes and thats what you should take. Just leave your laundry out in the bag in the morning and it will be back in your room by 5PM at the absolute latest.

TexasTank2009
TexasTank2009
Past Guest

Postby STE » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:24 pm

Although the resort does your laundry every day, and you might get by with a smaller amount of clothes, I agree with those who said they bring extra garments for variety and like to bring their own toiletries, so I check my bag too. I could never get by with just a carryon. There's no guarantee that you can conveniently get your brands of necessities there, and the time it might take to have to go shopping for them could be greater than how long it would take to wait for your checked bag at the airport. And you can help out the chicas with the items you bring. I've had occasion to share with them aspirin, antacid, and razors. Bring extra razors, and they love my liquid soap; bring plenty of that.
Last edited by STE on Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
STE
Past Guest

The following user would like to thank STE for this post
Green25, Steve1960

Postby hughgrection » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:18 pm

WARNING

I just got back from Dom Rep wed I had extra rechargeable batteries they wanted to confiscate them in carry on.
hughgrection

Postby Goofball » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:53 pm

always carry my bags on.
Goofball

Postby Goofball » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:54 pm

hughgrection wrote:WARNING

I just got back from Dom Rep wed I had extra rechargeable batteries they wanted to confiscate them in carry on.

They always take mine away as well as my condoms.
Goofball

Postby flaguy24 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:06 pm

i would love to take just a carry on, but soap, shower gel, perfume/cologne, toothpaste, shampoo, sunblock, ect will all be confiscated by TSA before you board so i will check a bag. max size for all that is--what-4 ounces? so not enough!
flaguy24

Next

Return to Frequently Asked Questions